Salsa Northwest Volunteers for Africa
Do you want to make a difference by sharing your skills?
We are interested in hearing from you if you would like to be considered for a volunteer role in rural Africa. Initially, we are seeking retired, semi-retired, self-employed people and those available for a position of up to 3 months and our focus will be in Zambia.
To offer support in the chosen area.
You must be at a professional level in your field of work and be able to present your qualifications. References may be requested if your application is put through to the next stage.
As a volunteer, you will work alongside other professionals based in Africa.
Our placements provide an opportunity to make contributions in the areas which would normally struggle to receive many professional applications.
Ability to deliver lectures/seminars in your given profession. (preferred but not essential)
Provide refresher courses for staff already in those areas. (preferred but not essential)
We welcome applications from;
• all grades and specialities of doctors, nurses, pharmacists and dentists, eye health, general medicine/physician, paediatrics, obstetrics & gynaecology, general surgery and midwifery backgrounds.
• Teachers of Basic/Advanced Mathematics (Algebra, Calculus, Geometry, Number Theory, Logic etc)
• Teachers of English Language and Literacy in support of the development of reading, writing, grammar, vocabulary and spoken English • Teachers of Sciences i.e. Biology, Chemistry and Physics
• Teachers of Information Technology.
• We are also interested in individuals with non-health/educational backgrounds with a commitment to get involved and who might consider funding their own trip.
How will rural Africans benefit from your involvement?
The knowledge, skills and experience you have gained from your professional employment in the UK are invaluable to rural Africans working with few or no resources and inadequate training.
Educated professionals in Africa often shun rural areas in favour of the Metropolis leaving workers there with little opportunity of high quality training.
Your commitment to teach and support individuals in learning new skills whilst on the job will be immensely valuable.
How will you benefit from volunteering as a medical/educational professional in Africa?
Volunteering as a medical/educational professional in Africa will give you the opportunity to share your knowledge and expertise with other professionals in your field of work.
Meet people from a different culture and learn about how they live and work.
Your accommodation, travel and food costs will be covered.
Your reward for sharing your skills in this way will be in witnessing the development of those individuals you teach and support and their infinite gratitude.
If you think this is you and you would like to get involved, please fill in the application form and return it either via e-mail or by post to the following;
1 Kingsbridge Close
Your information will be added to our database and shared with potential volunteer locations in Africa.